LESSON 1. A DOWNRIGHT SPEECH
Стр. 199, упр.la)
I find it absolutely true to life
Стр. 199, упр. lb)
• A generation gap is the differences found between members of different generations. More specifically, a generation gap can be used to describe the differences in actions, beliefs, tastes, etc. between members of younger generations when compared to members of older generations. While generation gaps have been prevalent throughout all periods of history, the width (differences) of these gaps have widened in the 20th and 2ist centuries.
• The father is portrayed in the picture rather angry and unsatisfied with his son.
• It describes a teenager's personality as lazy and impolite.
• I quite agree that modern teenagers can be described like this.
Стр. 200, упр. 2a)
I think that her speech is about teenagers, their attitude and their behavior.
Стр. 200, упр. 2b)
The topic of Neilia's speech is about teenagers behavior, their characteristics and attitude to life.
Стр. 200, упр. 2c)
In general I absolutely agree with Neilia. All three paragraphs describe the traits of teenagers that are unfortunately negative.
Стр. 201, упр. 3a)b)
She started her speech with the introduction, put the facts logically using linking words such as firstly, secondly, thirdly, moreover, finally that had also a linking function.
Стр. 202, упр. 2c)
Addition — I must agree, though, although; Contrast — however, but, and, nevertheless, besides; Enumeration — firstly, secondly, thirdly; Result — finally.
Стр. 202, упр. 4
1. besides 4. nevertheless 7. although
2. so 5. yet 8. nevertheless
3. however 6. and 9. besides
Стр. 202, упр. 5 a)
Frankly speaking the figures are not surprising at all.
Стр. 203, упр. 5 b)s
Tip: use each linking word between two sentences.